News:

SMF - Just Installed!

the beauty of forums

Started by pinkmoth, Nov 08, 2022, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkmoth

I really enjoy the forum format because it forces linear conversations and invites more long-form posting.

Social media typically encourages short form posting, prioritizing the snappiest one liners and burying everything else, and it's basically impossible to have a multi person linear conversation.

Real time chat ala discord or voice is great for linear conversations but are very very short form especially if you've got a busy chatroom.

forums have linear conversations and longer form posts.

I also appreciate the ability of conversations to lay dormant for hours, days, even weeks or months. This allows them to last much longer in terms of actual content, and to people to return to an old conversation with new thoughts. very nice
:3

churipputori

big agree, it's kinda sad that forums aren't as popular these days bc i remember in my wee days spending lots of time browsing forums

fishboneKiller

forums are also just like, really visually appealing and my brain likes em
(she/her pls) what if you had a penny that doubled in size every day

ArtyArts

I miss GaiaOnline.

Sure it's still around but not quite the same. Maybe I grew up.

I've always enjoyed how much less pressure there is when forum posting. For one, no one can see exactly when I'm typing.
The REAL Bacon Boywife, baby.

pinkmoth

Quote from: churipputori on Nov 08, 2022, 02:04 AMbig agree, it's kinda sad that forums aren't as popular these days bc i remember in my wee days spending lots of time browsing forums

for sure

Quote from: fishboneKiller on Nov 08, 2022, 04:19 AMforums are also just like, really visually appealing and my brain likes em

for sure

pinkmoth

Quote from: ArtyArts on Nov 08, 2022, 04:44 AMI miss GaiaOnline.

I've always enjoyed how much less pressure there is when forum posting. For one, no one can see exactly when I'm typing.

the forum i used to post on most - smogon - is still alive and well, but the culture has shifted and i was never really into comp mons. i have been craving a forum to post on for mooooonths, maybe years

fishboneKiller

the closest thing ive had to a forum that i used was speedrun.com, and now with the advent of discord it makes most forum posts on there kind of a lost cause, cuz why post on there when you could just join the discord and ask your questions there instead
(she/her pls) what if you had a penny that doubled in size every day

ArtyArts

Quote from: pinkmoth on Nov 08, 2022, 04:46 AM
Quote from: ArtyArts on Nov 08, 2022, 04:44 AMI miss GaiaOnline.

the forum i used to post on most - smogon - is still alive and well, but the culture has shifted and i was never really into comp mons. i have been craving a forum to post on for mooooonths, maybe years

I used to RP a ton. It's less about the culture changing and more about how it was stagnant, which honestly can be just as harmful.

Oh well, new forum! LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
The REAL Bacon Boywife, baby.

pinkmoth